Call for proposals
The Swiss Lung Association is supporting two types of projects and researchers have the option to submit their proposal to type 1, type 2 or both types of calls:
Type 1: Topics related to lung health as defined below with a total amount of CHF 500’000
a) Pneumology: basic research (experimental research) and clinical research,
b) Social medicine/science, public health and health economics,
c) Epidemiology (dissemination, causes and effects of diseases in populations),
d) Air pollution control and air quality,
Type 2: Topic-specific research - «Patient adherence and care models to domiciliary, non-pharmacological treatment of chronic respiratory disorders, approaches to improve the quality of advice and supply» with a total amount of CHF 125’000.
This topic-specific research should be centred around disease-management strategies and impact on compliance and clinical outcome. Projects investigating the relationship between different measures of compliance and health-related outcomes are also of interest.
Researchers working in Switzerland are entitled to participate and apply for support for a research project of their choice in the above-mentioned fields by submitting the relevant application form electronicly. The Research Committee will decide if one or several projects will be supported.
The evaluation procedure is divided into two phases: Formal selection and scientific assessment.
Requirements for formal selection
- Observance of the deadline
- Submission of the duly completed application form with all the required attachments by e-mail
- Compliance with the IT file format
- Submission in English
- Authorised signature of the principal investigator
- The research has to be carried out in Switzerland
- Applicants are obliged to observe the ethical principles and guidelines of the Swiss Academy of Medical Sciences (SAMW).
- The Research Fund of Swiss Lung Association does not support any project of applicants with relation to the tobacco industry.
Project grants are awarded through a competitive process by applying the following criteria.
Assessment criteria for scientific evaluation
- Compliance with the activities, topics and foci of Research Fund of the Swiss Lung Association
- Originality of the issue to be researched, a novel idea, vision, aim of the study, its comparative advantage
- Scientific quality (study design and concept, theoretical approach, working hypothesis)
- Feasibility (methods, working process, project environment, access to infrastructure, timeframe) and cost/benefit ratio, budget justification, adequate to the budget of Research Fund of the Swiss Lung Association
- References (expertise and qualification of applicant(s) and/or the research team regarding the field of study, pilot study if applicable, mentoring, «letter of support»)
- Financing of project secured
Applications for 2016 may be submitted from 18 January until 18 March 2016.
Final decisions including short feedback are communicated to applicants in the form of a ruling after the relevant meeting of the Research Committee, which will take place approximately three to four months after the submission date. The decision of the Research Committee has to be accepted, legal recourse is excluded.
Please take the time to read closely the grant agreement before submitting your application; to be sure you will be able to fulfill its conditions.